Monday, August 15, 2011

The beginning and the end.

Today marks the first day of school for most of the schools in Arkansas, including the one where my husband teaches. He is a fun- loving and fantastic kindergarten teacher that absolutely loves his job. 20 screaming, hyper-active, oblivious children is not an ideal job for just anybody. In other words, you have to love what you do to do that job! One of the perks of being a teacher is the summer break that follows the 9 months of academic trials and tribulations. Nathan and I had a summer full of road trips, adventure, and pregnancy cravings and as I am writing this, I am having a hard time believing that our summer vacation has come to an end and the inpending parenthood will soon begin. In two and a half very short months! Don't believe me....just check our baby countdown clock at the top of this blog. We are all but circling the landing strip for our little bundle of joy.

Since I am new to blogging, I will give a little background on our pregnancy. On St. Patricks day, Nathan was grading papers downstairs of our very "vertical apartment" and I was lying down upstairs with what I thought was the stomach flu. When I say very vertical, I mean that our cute newlywed apartment had three floors, a rooftop deck and loads of stairs in between. This apartment was perfect for our newlywed lifestyle consisting of us, a large beast of a dog, and an occasional plant here or there. This lifestyle came to a sudden halt on this St. Patricks day! Like I was saying, Nathan was on the first floor and I was on the third floor trying to feel better in order to celebrate St. Pattys day. I had just gotten back from working in Dallas where I spent the majority of the time feeling awful! In the back of my head I felt like something was off, a little different then a normal illness, so I did one of the scariest things in my life...took a pregnancy test.

I figured in the three minutes the pregnancy test takes to process the results, I would be able to process my feelings on the situation at hand...yes, that's right...three minutes to process my feelings on 9 months of growing a human and then raising the human for life. I guess I'm not always rational when I'm sick, but who is. Well the three minutes Clear, Blue and Easy promised me was actually all of 30 seconds before I got the digital "pregnant" reading. It would take a whole 8 posts on this blog to tell you what my emotions were while reading those 8 letters, so I'll sum it up with the word shocked!! I went downstairs to inform the second person of our little "just the two of us" lifestyle that there would in fact be three of us very soon. I made it downstairs with a look of shock plastered across my face which kind of took away from the "so let me tell you something" plan I had. In fact, I don't think I said a word at all...I just cried.

Nathan was beyond thrilled and by the looks of it, beyond scared. We were absolutely in disbelief and for the rest of the night, Nathan would stare at me like I might self-combust at any minute.

I truly don't remember too many details of that night or the several days following from the post traumatic found out we are having a baby disorder, but I do remember falling in love with my nine month body roommate and looking forward to the fun, fear, and love to come.

Like I was saying at the beginning of this post...It is the first day of school for so many schools here in the state and my husband is happily at work looking forward to a year of excellence from his new students. I usually don't put too much thought into the first day of school since I have long graduated from the first day of school frenzy, but this year with my big belly blocking several of the keys on the computer, I know that this marks the ending of my pregnancy and in the future, the first day of school for my little one. Am I ready? Who knows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment